In line with the mandate of the Bureau of Local Government Finance (BLGF) to exercise administrative supervision and render technical assistance to the local government units’ (LGUs) local treasury services, on 17-23 June 2018, the BLGF thru its Legal Service, in coordination with the LGU Operations Service, conducted two (2) batches of Training on Legal Orientation for Local Treasurers (LOAD). Participants of the Training included Municipal Treasurers nationwide. They were joined by some City and Provincial Treasurers, as well as Special Investigators.
The Resource Speakers were lawyers from the BLGF, the Ombudsman, and the Commission on Audit. Among the topics discussed were the following:
- BLGF’s Roles In The Governance of Treasury and Assessment Operations of LGUs
- Responsibilities and Accountabilities of Local Treasurers and Accountable Officers
- Administrative Sanctions Imposed on Local Treasurers (July 2015–December 2017)
- Salient Provisions of the CSC 2017 RACCS with focus on Remedies up to Supreme Court
- Statement of Asset, Liability and Net worth (SALN) Guidelines
- Basic Principles In Writing Pleadings
- The Ombudsman Act of 1989, as amended
- Public Service Values and Values Accountability
- Rules and Regulations on the Settlement of Accounts (COA Circular No. 2009-006 dated September 15, 2009)
- Common COA LGU findings and Best Practice Solutions
- Tips on Answering AOM
Aside from participative discussion, the participants’ learning was measured thru a session of writeshop and critiquing of outputs. Participants were given sample complaints and they identified issues raised and cited defences available under applicable rules and regulation. Participants’ facilitation and presentation skills were likewise displayed during the presentation and critiquing session.
There are two more batches of LOAD training for 2018 and we look forward to conducting the same!!!